How to Vote in US Elections When Living Internationally

American citizens living abroad are eligible to vote in US elections by submitting an absentee ballot. To do so, they must first register through a Federal Post-Card Application (FCPA). The ballot must be submitted before the state’s return deadline. While registering, overseas residents should consider their intent to return and its implications on their tax status. Ballots can be returned via email, fax, or mail, or through certain physical drop-off methods. The state of last residence determines voting rights in certain regional elections. Voting does not affect the individual’s tax status.

Receive StartAbroad's Free Relocation Checklist